One of my clients today was having an issue where their outlook web access mysteriously stopped working.
I RDPed to the server, and found that the Default website had stopped. I right clicked, hit start and was presented with the error message: "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".
I checked all other IIS websites, and found nothing that might be causing the problem... So I turned to my good ol' standby: Google.
I found some Microsoft KB articles that instructed me to run some netstat.exe commands to find the problem... Trouble is, the results were many. Many many. I couldn't find anything in there. I felt like I was drinking from a firehose.
Eventually, I stumbled upon this utility called currports.exe. It's a quick download, runs fast, and reports to you in a nice little console, all ports that are currently being used, and what process is using them.
I found out that the client had installed a utility called E-BLVD. Looks like a remote control utility that works over the SSL port.
Moral of the story, if you want to achieve something like remote control to your server, consult your IT department, or you just might bring down some important services. In this case, not only did OWA stop working, but so too did OMA. We have owners with no emails to their moble devices, which is never a good thing!